Sunday I sat down and started to Navajo, or chain ply the singles I had spun up. This was the first time I have ever chain plied so much. I did a test skein with some Corriedale a few months back but it was about 60 yards.
Things I have learned from this chain plied yarn:
- Let the singles rest for a day or so. This sounds weird and I honestly didn’t believe it myself, but it was much easier spinning and they seemed to have less “energy” after sitting.
- Worsted spinning seems to make a better single to chain ply with vs the woolen I did last time. I think it is stronger. Maybe that’s not the best way to describe it, but I only broke the single once this time and that was because it caught on my wedding ring.
- If I spin anymore than 4 oz I will need a bigger bobbin. It barely fit on there.
- I used the larger whorl size (12.5:1) for plying and spun the singles using the smaller size on that whorl (10.5:1) to spin the singles. I have to say I love the singles I got using the smaller ratio.
- I finally got into the rhythm of chaing plying near the end. One thing I need to work on is going to be more consistent sized chains. Sometimes I made them really large and sometimes really small.
The finished yarn was 164 yards of a 12WPI (DKish) weight yarn. I love the colors in the finished product. Very earthy. Not sure what it will become. I welcome suggestions though!
Until next time…